Sunday, July 3, 2011

Accomplishment

It's been awhile since I was on here. So I suppose I should update you as to what has been going on.

Let's see...XTERRA Eureka Springs what a weekend, what a day, what a race. To be honest I don't think I could have been more on my game. I arrived at transition ready, pumped and more than ready to race. Swim was great. 2nd female out of the water. T1 was sorta slow then off on the bike. I was nervous but confident in my "new" ride. My bike rode like a dream, almost like it never had before. I took the bike slow and steady making sure to be cautious. I did not need to mess up this race. I rode more downhills and attempted more technical sections than I ever had. What is it about a race that makes you more daring than normal? I don't know and I certainly don't care. Whatever it is, it helped me conquer a feat that I had before doubted. I am proud to say that I did not have one single crash on the bike, no blood was drawn, and no tears were shed. How awesome is that? The run was amazing. I followed the plan...walk the inclines and hammer it out on the flats. And boy did I fly along those flat sections. It was such an amazing feeling! Halfway through the run my body started to falter. I got dizzy and tripped. I sliced my knee open on a rock. I guess every race has to end with some blood right? Got my second wind and powered through passing 8 people on the run. I was estatic. Turning the last corner I was running on fumes. I starting talking to myself, egging myself on to make it to that finish line and never once looking over my shoulder. Nope...because I had this race in the bag. I crossed that finish line and dropped. Luckily I fell into someone's arms. As I was being carried to the ice bath the only thing that I could mutter was "I executed the perfect race." The perfect race being to drop at the finish line, using every last ounce of expendable energy to get you home. I layed in the ice bath completely delirious for half an hour. Not comprehending who was speaking to me or what was being said. First in my age group and fifth overall woman. Not bad for a day's work.

The race was amazing. The volunteers and fans were more than I could have asked for, so encouraging and excited. This by far was the best race experience I have ever had. Kudos to the race director and my friend Shawn Wierick for putting on a spectacular race. It was one that will never be forgotten.

XTERRA Dawg Days: June 25, 2011
If it seems to be a recurring theme that I love to race XTERRA's that's because it is. It is a thrill, a rush, and a high that can be compared to nothing else. The technicality and the focus that it takes to try and keep your bike upright while battling a tree stump or a small ravine is something that I find completely exhilarating.

XTERRA #3. So excited and calm before this race. Going into this one I felt like a seasoned veteran, although yes I am still a rookie, not nervous just plain excited. As we got to the course, yep I dragged a friend into this one, and set up transition I began to look around. To see all the familiar faces and the face of my competition. I spotted her quickly. Petite, quiet, and the face of a stern warrior. So pumped and ready I put her out of my mind, vowing to never look over my shoulder, to never have doubts, only to focus on my race and what I was capable of doing.

To say that I was off my game is an understatement. I had a great swim, fastest ever but after that things slowly started to go downhill. My bike portion was terrible. I wrecked two miles into a 12 mile course. Trying not to let that shake me I picked myself up and tried to focus, to get my head back in the game. Much harder than I had anticipated. I stood there as blood was streaming from my elbow and knee, completely covered in dirt. I let people pass me just trying to get it back together. I walked my bike for awhile collecting my thoughts. Although the doubts began to creep in. "What am I doing? Maybe I shouldn't have raced. Why are my legs so dead?" These thoughts flowed through my mind. I thought about how my coach, Shawn, had told me not to race. After all I hadn't been sleeping, I was tired and exhausted. But I being the bull-headed stubborn person that I am decided to come down and gut it out.

I finally got the nerves to get back on my bike. My ride was not fast at all. I practically coasted through the next 10 miles trying to stay upright and just make it back to T2. I made it back an hour and forty minutes later. Performed a perfect flying dismount. Was so stoked over that one, and began the run. My legs were shot, dead, and felt like lead weights. But I just talked to myself. "It's alright you've got this." Over and over again I would repeat. I planned on walking/running for the rest of the run portion but as I began this my legs came to and I felt like I was getting a second wind. With a mile to go I noticed my competition on a switchback below where I was. Boy did that ever give me new legs. No way was I going to be beat by this girl let alone a first time XTERRA racer. No way! I put it into 4th gear and took off. I was flying. It's only a mile right? I don't think that I have ever run that fast in my entire life. As I rounded the corner to the finish line I knew I had left her behind, 4 minutes later she came in behind me.

Gutting it out was not a pleasurable experience by any means, but it felt good to know that I could dig deep. I took home 1st in the age group (again) and 6th overall in the women. Not a great race but an enjoyable weekend with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...