Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Great Place To Start

The whipping of the wind on your face, the smell of the trees and dirt, the fast descents and the wicked climbs.

Went out on the trails today. Only the second time in over a month. At the beginning of the ride I was tripping on and catching every rock in my way. Trying to find my balance, my rhythm, and my lost intuition. By the end of the ride I felt like a seasoned veteran out among the forest.

I finally found the place that I feel most at peace and at home. While I was out there on that bike today I couldn't help by smile and think about how much I had missed it. I felt like I had finally gotten my wings back (sota speak). I felt more free today out on those trails, more so than I have felt in months. I felt like my old self again. Who knew flying down a rocky descent could help you rediscover yourself again? For that I have to thank my riding buddy Kevin.

I really didn't think today could get much better. A great ride and a run was all that I needed to catapult myself to Cloud 9. But then I opened my email to find my invitation to the XTERRA National Championships in Ogden, UT on September 24th. I was overcome with emotions. Joy, triumph, excitement, anxiousness. I knew I could do it, deep down somewhere. To actually see the invitation in front of my face solidified all the struggles that I have gone through this season, the pain, the defeat, the tears, the joy.

I started this triathlon journey as a way to slowly let go of my soccer career. A way to expend my pent up energy. I never expected to be a real competitor, although I'm about as competitive as they come, all the way down to playing Wii against a 9 year old. Out of that I became a competitor with a take no prisoners mentality. I developed a love for this sport that can not be matched. Thriving to every day become better than I was the day before. I train alone, I train with friends (who most days kick my butt), only to make myself better at a sport (three actually) that has brought so much joy and so many friendships to this life of mine.

There is a lot of work to be done before the gun goes off on September 24th. I think today was a great way to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...