Friday, September 2, 2011

A Ride of Epic Proportions

 I look up to the mountains everyday and I cannot get over the beauty that I am encapsulated by. To be honest, I don't think that this landscape will ever get old, ever. It makes for the most magnificent mountain biking that I have ever experienced in my short little life. To look below you on a trail and see canyons with waterfalls and rivers flowing through them. The serenity that it brings. The smell of the pine trees and the dirt, yes the dirt...it really does smell good.

I have come across more mountain bikers, runners, roadies, and outdoor enthusiasts in my two weeks here than I think I have ever come across in my entire life. I'm pretty sure on my ride today I passed something like 25 bikers all out on the same trail. Can you say awesome?

I feel like every day it is getting easier to breathe...finally! I think I am starting to get used to and enjoy the altitude maybe a little...did I really just say that? I went out on a ride this morning. It was crisp, cool morning...only 52 degrees. A little cold by my standards, but the perfect riding weather. The ride was tough but so much fun. I'm pretty sure that the first 6-7 miles were all uphill. And I mean straight up. The kind that not only get your legs burning but your lungs burning as well, know what I am talking about?

Those climbs were all made worth it with the downhills. I have never experienced such as exhilarating and fast downhill section like this. It had to have been 4 or 5 miles all the way down. I guess all that climbing amounted to something. The descents were rocky and smooth...even and unstable. Controlled yet uncontrollable. I swear there were some sections where I almost ate the dirt. Going a little too fast down some technical terrain, but I managed to avoid the crashing...for now. There were even parts where my arms were literally numb, I really thought they might come out of the sockets.

We finished the ride back at the base of Snowbasin where we started. 14 miles, no blood was drawn, many laughs and jokes were exchanged. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have asked for a better ride with some pretty awesome riders to share it with. What a great day, now to finish it off with some GPP...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...