Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Crossfit Story

I love to hear the stories of people’s lives. It makes me feel like I have been a part of something in their life or that I am important enough for them to share. I love seeing the way people light up when they speak of different things, an interest, a lover, or a funny childhood memory. I have many stories of my own; this particular one is my Crossfit story.

I started Crossfit just under 6 months ago, boy does time fly. I remember my first encounter with a WOD (workout of the day), it was 5 pull-ups, 10 pushups, and 15 air squats; as many rounds as possible in 5 minutes. When it was over I was lying on the ground gasping for air, at that moment I knew it was for me. It doesn’t take me long to get hooked on things. Soccer took me all of a day to fall in love, triathlon took a little longer, about a week, but Crossfit took me all of 3 and a half minutes.

I have spoken of my first month at the box and the impression it made, the way I felt I had changed, and the goals that I had already met. The people are what truly make the experience. There is something reassuring about suffering through something together, somehow it seems easier to accomplish.

Crossfit has forced me to confront issues I never thought I would deal with.  We live in a society where “thin is in”, I unfortunately fell prey to this during high school and the first few years of college. We are taught as young girls that you must look a certain way, have certain hair, and lead a specific life to be considered beautiful, which is something that I have struggled with for many years. The thing that Crossfit has taught me is that my body is beautiful and pretty damn powerful. Never in my LIFE did I think that I would be able to deadlift 240 lbs! In all honesty, I never really wanted to. My body is not something that should be punished with starvation diets or silly cleanses, but a machine that needs to be well fueled; a perspective that I have never had.

My Crossfit box has done more for me mentally than anything else. Yes, I have gained significant amounts of strength and power, but being able to overcome my mental hurdles is something that means more to me than anything else. As a personal trainer I am supposed to be proud of my body and the work that I have put into it, going to Crossfit has allowed me to do that.
Crossfit has shown me that strength is beautiful, throwing weights is awesome, and there is power in community.

I love my Crossfit family and the things that they have taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...