Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crossfit Crazed

How do you know if someone does Crossfit?
-Because they talk about it all the damn time.

I should apologize to my friends as I am becoming one of those crazed Crossfit addicts. I decided to join a local Crossfit recently to help propel myself back into the world of exercise, may sound weird coming from someone who trains/coaches for a living. Nonetheless I decided that it was time to end my depressed, six-month hiataus that had led me down a road to weak arms and "chicken legs." (NEVER in my life has someone said this to me, when they did I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or insult). I decided that I needed something to be a part of again, without racing I kind of felt lost and I thought joining other people who seemed to be as crazed as I could be would be a great idea!

I found a "box" as they are called that I decided I would be calling home and I was hooked before I even set my foot in the door. I walked in, not really knowing what to expect, I guess I should have. I've seen those Crossfit games where the contestants have muscles bulging out of their earlobes...and here was no different. I looked around and everyone was built! Shoulders, legs, arms, abs...and in that moment I wanted to run, run away screaming like a scared child. What the hell had I decided to sign-up for?

We (being the other frightened souls who had decided to give it a try) were warmly greeted by the owner's wife. We were taken through the ideology, their view on things such as form, workouts, and even welcoming the people, like myself, who were defiantly out of shape. We were then taken through a "mini" workout, of course my over-competitive nature and drive to win kicked in and I was bound and determined to "win" this thing...even though there is no winning! Ha. In the six minutes that it took me to complete the workout I was gasping for air, dripping sweat, and cursing myself for letting my fitness get that bad, but no turning back.

It has been almost a month since I joined. The very first week I could barely walk, had to lean over to brush my teeth, and I'm pretty sure at one point I took a nap on the floor because I couldn't get up. I still have yet to learn anyone's name, except for the same trainer who leads the morning sessions. But one thing that I have noticed is that no matter whether you finish first or last people are cheering you on, pushing you to do better. The cheers ALWAYS get louder for the last person who is finishing up. Now if that doesn't scream family or community to you then I don't know what does. I even had a fellow Crossfitter (I don't know his name) pause in the middle of his workout to come over and explain to me where the barbell needed to be placed for cleans, front lunges, etc. helping me to get better results (and not pop the bar up into my face or end up dropping it on my femur). So thank you to whoever you are.

I feel like I am beginning to be a part of something again. Although I can't do a muscle-up or toes to bar, or even lift as much weight as I used to, I am still accepted into their community. I notice and feel myself getting stronger every day, and I can see those abs lines starting to appear! Just in time for Spring Break...which I will spend working, but who cares.

They don't lie when they say that Crossfit is an addictive cult atmosphere, but I'd say it's a positive one helping people to only better their lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...