Monday, August 11, 2014

My Maximus


"The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties
of this earth can ever be."
- Konrad Lorenz

 


Dogs are special creatures. They can change your world if given the opportunity. Thirteen years ago today my best friend entered this world. He has defied me, loved me, explored with me, and been there when all I needed were some furry ears to listen. Today is my puppy's thirteenth birthday and this is what I wish I could say to him...

Dearest Maximus,

Ever since you entered our lives that October morning back in 2001, you have been a blessing. You have been through so much with our family. You brought light into it when there wasn't much. After thirteen years, four moves, who knows how many chew toys and boat rides, you are still as happy as you've ever been. I wish that I could share this day with you and take away some of your pain as you have taken away some of mine. It hurts my heart to know that you don't have much longer left with us, but hopefully these last few months can be filled with lots of walks and even more adventures. You always were one for exploring, from the caves at Devil's Den to chasing deer through the woods as we chased you, it has been a glorious ride.

You've always been one step behind us, making sure that your family is looked out for. Whether that be at the soccer park or the front yard. You've managed to do things without anyone noticing, like sneaking into the house, taking a nap in the back of the neighbor's van, or taking yourself for a walk; you never cease to make us laugh. You are one of the weirder dogs I have ever met. One who does not bark, or fetch, or like water, or other dogs for that matter, which is funny and probably accounts for your stealth like qualities.

Max, you are my cuddle-bug, my partner in crime, my grass eating, snow-loving, shadow of a best friend. I miss hearing the clicking of your nails on the wood floor of my house, your breathing while I study, the constant fidgeting while I nap, and your company. I know that grandpa, grandma, and mom are taking great care of you in these final months, just know how much I love you and that when you are ready to let go, it's okay. Even though you are 91 years old today (human years) you will always be a puppy in my eyes.

Happy birthday you furball and may you somehow sneak your way into the cookie jar for an extra birthday treat.

Forever and always,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Allow me to introduce myself...again.

For those of you who are new here, allow me to introduce myself...for those of you who have followed with me you can skip on down. My name ...